Pages

March 9, 2006

The Dirtbag Dream, Revisited


As I ponder other possibilities, living in a 18' trailer next to Rattlesnake Creek, trading comfort and convenience for simplicity seems bittersweet. No heat, no electricity, no running water are swapped for hearing the meditative trickle of the creek and the pattering of the rain on the tin roof. Coziness replaces spaciousness, and creativity, if not agility, is mandatory when doing just about any activity when more than one person is inside.
It's cheap, it's carefree, and it's non-conforming. It's liberating. From what, you might ask. From society, I suppose. From conformity, maybe. I'm nearly 31 years old, you say. Shouldn't I be buying a house or taking steps to ensure that I have a secure future? Retirement? All the American Dream stuff, you know, white picket fence with the Volvos and the babyjoggers, 2 week vacations like normal people. That's all great, if that is what you want. It's happens to be that right now, it's just not for me.
It's been a while since I've posted. The transitions from travelling to not travelling can be rough. I call into question what I am doing, and where I am going. I am forced to revisit all aspects, and take a good hard look at myself as I try to ease back into daily life. To say I don't want any of what society has to offer would be a complete exaggeration. Better to say that I can exist in society, no problem, but I have to do it my way. Going to Hood River to work in a flower shop downtown, which I happen to love, has to be balanced by something unusual, something out of the ordinary. Something unpredictable and maybe even unfathomable to most people. Living in the trailer adds an element of adventure that I yearn for, that I crave.
Living the dream is hard work, simple tasks become big chores, and getting warm in the morning takes some doing. It's not convenient, and it's not easy, but for now, it's a perfect dream, even if I'm not even a dirtbag.

Photos, top to bottom: Trailer Sweeeeeet Trailer; Optimistically hanging the hammock upon return from Ecuador...maybe a tad prematurely?

1 comment:

Jay Gifford said...

Val,
ya´ll are so hard core! it is great to hear that you are settling back in. Everyone down here says hey. talk to you soon...