Pages

January 2, 2011

Charge It.

I don't normally make New Year's resolutions, but typically set intentions instead, to identify the direction I hope to take certain aspects of my life in the coming year. Resolutions tend to be so extreme, unrealistic, and limiting--not to mention short-lived. I don't like that. 

For 2011, I'm thinking of making a list of 100 things I want to do before the year is over. That sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Well, some of them are going to be very simple, like cooking certain dishes I've always wanted to make. Like visiting new places in the Gorge or wherever that I've always wanted to, restaurants, waterfalls, and even the Red Carpet. Visit all of the wineries I've never been to, be more of a tourist in my own community. 



Things like that, nothing too heavy, but simple things that create good memories. Go back to Toro Bravo in Portland for an awesome meal. Plant an herb garden at the house we're staying at, because we need one and it would be fun.

Take a pottery lesson from my friend Donna, because that's just something I've always wanted to do. Do more yoga because I need it in my life. See more live music, because it makes me happy.


I've come to believe more whole-heartedly in the phrase "Nothing to it but to do it." We are by nature, pensive creatures, which clearly has it's advantages, but sometimes I think we spend a little too much time thinking, planning, worrying about things instead of just doing them.


As my friend Allison says, in reference to being a totally kick-ass mountain biker, "You just have to nut up and charge it."  
I like the thought of approaching more things in life with that attitude. 

So, here goes. Welcome 2011. Charge it!

No comments: